Re: Create table for append only

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:45:40 -0700

Andrea wrote:
> Hi guys,
> sorry for my question but i would like to give some tips for create a
> table in 10g database.
> This table have 40 colums and start with few rows, about 2 thousand,
> but it will increase soon (it appends hundred rows every day) only
> through append transactions. I thinked to create a IOT table (index
> organized) and maybe partition it also.
>
> So if this kind of table has not updates but only append and select,
> which are the best practices in this case?
>

> thanks for advice
> Andrew

A few points of clarification. A few hundred rows every day is so insignificant I would gladly put that workload on my laptop without a performance concern. Partitioning such a small table is meaningless.

The decision as to whether to use an IOT is complex and involves many factors of which the lack of updates and deletes certainly weighs in that direction. But how is the table going to be access? What percentage of those 40 columns are required to define the primary key? What version of Oracle do you have? There is a lot of relevant information you have not posted.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor