Re: jdbc icc connection cache

From: <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:50:09 -0700 (PDT)

On May 22, 8:34 pm, "" <> wrote:
> <> wrote in message
> > On May 21, 2:20 pm, "jim. dot scuba dot kennedy at gee male dot com"
> > <> wrote:
> >> Does anyone have any experience using Oracle's JDBC ICC (implicit
> >> connections cache) with RAC? We are on 10G. What I am looking for is
> >> if anyone is using this and their overall experience. Good bad, etc.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jim Kennedy
> > Hi,
> > I am the Oracle JDBC product manager, not a customer.
> > I don't have permission to give names but there are happy customers
> > using ICC with RAC as well as Fast Connection Failover and Runtime
> > Connection Load Balancing.
> > Fwiw, my blog entry
> >,
> > gives a summary of how it works and how to enable it.
> > Kuassi
> > - blog
> > - book
> > -
> Thanks. If you know of any customers that would be willing to provide
> feedback to me directly - I would not diseminate the information elsewhere -
> please have them contact me. jimk at snapnames dot com. We have been
> struggling with a non-rac related isse with the thin jdbc driver for a
> couple of years on a known issue. (create a type in schema A, grant execute
> on type to schema B. Create a synonym in schema B for the type defined in
> schema A. The JDBC thin driver does not handle this case. It turns out the
> 11g jdbc driver finally does, but Oracle recommends not using it because of
> a sever memory leak. Subsequently, we have had to write a lot of code to
> get around this issue and the QA manager is gun shy with some Oracle
> products. Which has lead me to my assignment to get some feedback from
> other customers. (not to be made public, to be kept in confidence) The QA
> manager wants to know if anyone actually uses this in production and wants
> to get feed back from them.
> I know I have rambled a bit. I have booked marked your site and am keeping
> a copy of your reply for reference.
> Thanks,
> Jim Kennedy

Will do.

There is no known memory leak with 11g JDBC-Thin; The recommendation is to use full/complete schema name instead of synonym becoz it takes a couple of round trips to get the complete information from the server.

Kuassi Received on Fri May 23 2008 - 11:50:09 CDT

Original text of this message