Re: Database Management

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 07:30:31 -0700 (PDT)

On May 23, 9:14 am, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
> On 23 May, 15:08, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
>
> > Besides no one hires someone fresh out of school to be a DBA.  You
> > pretty much have to have developer experience or be a system
> > administrator depending on the kind of shop you are being hired into.
>
> > -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -
>
> While I agree with you 100%, sadly this isn't always the case in the
> real world.  The lackadaisical some organisations take to their data
> never ceases to amaze me :(

I'll agree with that as it appears some organizations equate knowledge with experience (as in 'He's an OCP so he must be qualified.')

I realise I'm preaching to the choir, but there is no substitute for experience. Sadly (and appallingly) some shops miss that boat.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri May 23 2008 - 09:30:31 CDT

Original text of this message