Re: Create table for append only

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 07:13:39 -0700 (PDT)

On May 23, 9:04 am, Andrea <netsecur..._at_tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> sorry for my question but i would like to give some tips for create a
> table in 10g database.
> This table have 40 colums and start with few rows, about 2 thousand,
> but it will increase soon (it appends hundred rows every day) only
> through append transactions. I thinked to create a IOT table (index
> organized) and maybe partition it also.
>
> So if this kind of table has not updates but only append and select,
> which are the best practices in this case?
>
> thanks for advice
> Andrew

In Oracle and with SQL the DML operations are select, insert, update, and delete. What do you mean by "append". Unless you are using only direct path insert tasks the rows will be inserted where ever in the table that free space exists. If you never delete then logically all inserts will be to the end of the table. On the other hand if you use an IOT the inserts are in PK order so unless the key is sequential the rows will be inserted into the proper key location.

Also what version of Oracle?

So exactly what are you asking?

  • Mark D Powell --