Re: Graphical Oracle administration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:01:14 -0700

Luigi wrote:
> I've searched the internet and as far as I can understand in SQL
> Server 2005 and Oracle we have:
> An instance (server) can have many databases.

No. No. No.

> A database can have many schemas, schema simply being a grouping for
> objects in a database: there can be two tables named "Product" one in
> the schema Sales and the other in the schema Manufacture
> (Sales.Product and Manufacture.Product)
> Hence a fully qualified object name is server.database.schema.object.
>
> Am I right?

No. No. and NO!

In Oracle a database is a set of physical files. Just a set of files. In Oracle an instance is processes and memory structures. A database has users.
Users have objects.
We interchangeably refer to users with objects as schemas. Users own objects.

You can not apply your Ingres -> Informix -> Sybase -> SQL Server understanding of databases to Oracle. Oracle was not spawned at UC Berkeley like the others.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor