Re: Graphical Oracle administration

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 06:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.
On May 22, 7:44 am, Luigi <newsgroup..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 Mag, 14:15, yossarian <yossaria..._at_operamail.com> wrote:
>
> > > It is a database specific tool
>
> > Just like SQL Server Management Studio.
>
> > and not a DBMS tools
>
> >> ?
>
> Oracle Database 10g, SQL Server 2005, IBM DB2 9.5 are RDBMS.

True.

> When i perform a CREATE DATABASE query i create a database not a
> RDBMS.
True, but the SQL Server 'definition' of a 'database' differs DRASTICALLY from the Oracle definition, of which you're apparently unaware. OEM does NOT create Oracle databases (which included the instance [memory structures] and the database files], DBCA does. A 'database' in SQL Server is used to colocate data and tables which are related to each other; this is the purpose of the SCHEMA in Oracle.

> SQL Server Management Studio let me connect with an installed SQL
> Server RDBMS and then i can right-click and create a database.

Correct, and that is a repository for a collection of related objects. This is the purpose of a SCHEMA in Oracle.

> In Oracle I can only use the DBCA to create a database and then I can
> manage it with the Enterprise Manager Database Control, but I have no
> chance to use only one graphical tool for all like SSMS and like
> Oracle SQL Developer adding to it "DBMS functionalities".

You're confused, obviously. Please follow my earlier advice and read the Concepts Guide:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/toc.htm

before you make any further comment.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu May 22 2008 - 08:27:42 CDT

Original text of this message