SQL Plus error - String beginning '...' too long. Maximum size is 79 characters

From: Morris <maurycy.s_at_orange.pl>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 02:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

I had trouble finding a correct oracle group so please let me know if this is not where I should post my problem? But hopefully you might be able to help me anyway...

We're using SQLPLUS at work, mine is: (sqlplusw.exe) version: SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu May 22 10:21:41 2008

my friend's is:
version: SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Thu May 22 10:25:01 2008

Now, if we paste the same path trying to run the same script, for example:
@\\SomeServer\DataServices\Data\Data\Data\Data\Datadata\Data\Database \SomeFolder\file.sql

He gets the error as per title - saying his maximum size is 79 chars, and I have no problems when running the script?

Is there any settings we could change (I went through Options --> Environment but nothing helpful there) or would upgrading his client be enough? Would it be enough if he just replaces his binary (sqlplusw.exe) with mine? Or does he need to download a completely new package?

Thanks in advance,
Morris Received on Thu May 22 2008 - 04:33:57 CDT

Original text of this message