Re: Rebuilding the system schema

From: <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

On May 21, 1:20 pm, Mark D Powell <> wrote:
> On May 21, 12:35 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > We have a test instance and a script that was run agains the system
> > > schema which dropped some of the objects- it seems that the system
> > > works but some features do not work such as dropping a user - Is there
> > > a way to rebuild the system schema to get all of the objects back in?
> > What version?
> > Likely you can rebuild by running the same installation scripts Oracle
> > uses us as catalog.sql and catproc.sql. But based on the fact that you
> > already did something more than a little destructive I am very hesitant
> > to suggest a course of action as you might just make things worse. Is
> > this a production database?
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > University of Washington
> > (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users
> Note that changes to user system objects should not interfer with your
> ability to execute CREATE USER commands as long as the username
> running the command has the privilege.  By "system schema" do you mean
> username = SYSTEM or SYS?
> If system, then do you have an export?
> If SYS then running catalog and catproc plus any optional featues
> created via dbms_ scripts would be my approach.
> If that does not work then re-create the database and reload it from
> an export since this is test that should be good enough.
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

This was the system user- logged in as system and ran a script that drops all of the users objects- killed the process about 1/3 of the way through.Looking at our production instance there are over 450 objects in the system schema )Logged in as system) and on the test database there are 389-

I have a backup of the database- could I just remove the system.dbf file and replace this with the system.dbf file from my NetBackup server? Or is it better to run the catalog and catproc scripts?

Does Oracle offer a "Repair" feature through the installer? This is version 10.2

Thanks for the replies.... Received on Wed May 21 2008 - 12:38:36 CDT

Original text of this message