Re: Oracle Waiting for a process to open the other end of the pipe.

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 08:47:26 -0700 (PDT)

On May 21, 10:09 am, Fabio Zanotti <zanotti.fa..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Mag, 14:00, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because it says so in the installation manual? You
> > need local administrative rights.
> > And for pete's sake, do it; set up a local
> > account, add it to the adminitrators group, and
> > start installing. It's been discussed a zillion
> > times, although I must admit, I've not seen these
> > symptoms.
>
> > FvB
>
> Hi, could you give me some references such as posts'forum or links
> etc.
> Thanks

Page 36 Oracle8i Administrator’s Guide for Windows NT: "By default, services run under the SYSTEM account." From the above, it seems that running Oracle using the SYSTEM account works fine.

Page 41 Oracle8i Administrator’s Guide for Windows NT: "Automatic Startup Set the registry parameter ORA_SID_AUTOSTART to TRUE (the default) using an Oracle tool such as ORADIM. 1. Enter the following with parameters at the MS-DOS command prompt: C:\> ORADIM PARAMETERS
2. To start the listener automatically, set the service startup type to automatic.

Automatic Shutdown
1. Set the registry parameters ORA_SHUTDOWN and ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN to stop the relevant OracleServiceSID and shut down. 2. Set the registry parameter ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE to control the shutdown mode (the default is I, or Immediate)."

From the above, make certain that the registry values are correct.

Page 201 Oracle8i Administrator’s Guide for Windows NT: "If You Want to Start a database with the default parameter file, then enter
SQL> STARTUP
This command uses the default INIT.ORA file located in the ORACLE_BASE \ADMIN\DB_NAME\PFILE directory."

From the above, make certain that the init.ora is located in the expected location.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Wed May 21 2008 - 10:47:26 CDT

Original text of this message