Re: newbe question: how to... open database

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 May 2008 08:19:51 GMT

On Wed, 21 May 2008 09:37:05 +0200, EricW wrote:

> From a company we recieved a oracle database (version 8.0.6) on a CD
> containing the following files:
> AO_data01.dbf
> RBS01.DBF
> SYSTEM01.dbf
> TEMP01.DBF
> USERS01.DBF
> CNTRL01.CTL
> CNTRL02.CTL
> ROMA_RN01A.LOG
> ROMA_RN01B.LOG
> ROMA_RN02A.LOG
> ROMA_RN02B.LOG
> ROMA_RN03A.LOG
> ROMA_RN03B.LOG
>

> I have installed Oracle 10 on my computer, but I cannot find how I can
> open or import this database.
>
> anyone who can/wants to help me?
>
> rg,
> Eric

To make a long story short, this will be an interesting exercise. Looking at the case of your file names, this DB is from some kind of MS platform. You will have to set a new home so that control files can be used to locate the original files. I surmise you will have to use something like "strings" command in order to hack the control files. As soon as you get it set up properly, you will have to use DBUA. It's not a cross-platform tool, so you better be on Winduhs yourself. You will also need a parameter file. If all of this is on a single CD, ask the person who has sent you the CD to export the database into a .dmp file and send it to you. It will save you a major headache.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com