Re: "desperately tiny" rdbms setup

From: joel garry <>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

On May 20, 11:59 am, Gints Plivna <> wrote:
> On 16 Maijs, 11:03, Frank van Bortel <>
> wrote:
> > 1GB laptop would default to 700MB for Oracle. Why aim for 32MB?!?
> > about 100M is workable, and even allows for some options.
> > I have been working 512MB~1GB XP laptops with the database, Designer
> > and iAS (pl/sql) running. Nothing to be jealous about, but more
> > workable than my current 4GB Vista (yuck!)
> I worked with XE on my ancient laptop with 256 RAM, ~700MHz. SGA was
> 140M, for syntax checking and some tests it was quite ok, even created
> tables with a few million rows and count(*) worked :)
> Don't remember probably Oracle something sceptical said upon
> install :)
> Gints Plivna

Now that you mention it, my work XP PC has 1G, crappy old full disks and runs XE fine, as long as I don't leave it in archivelogmode and fill the crappy old disks the rest of the way up. Stupid adobe and word docs take so much room...

But I do all my serious work on the servers.

-- is bogus.  “If the act can effectively eliminate the real-
child requirement when a proposal relates to extant material, a class
of protected speech will disappear.” David Souter, dissenting from
opinion that says you can be convicted of child pornography crimes
even if there is no pornography at all.  So "the child pornography is
here..." oops!  This post is a crime!  You're a child molester now!
Have fun in prison!