Re: Oracle Waiting for a process to open the other end of the pipe.

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:22:31 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.
On May 19, 9:22 am, Fabio Zanotti <zanotti.fa..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a windows 2k sever with Oracle 8.1.7 installed.

And Oracle 8.1.7 was desupported in the last millenium.

> Since two months, Oracle service cannot automatically start when I
> reboot the server.
> I get this message from Event Viewer:
> "OracleServiceXXX service failed to start due to the following error:
> Waiting for a process to open the other end of the pipe"
>
> Instead the Listener service starts correctly.
>
> In XXXALRT.LOG there is no message but in the listener.log I read:
>
> TNS-12560: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
>  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter
>   TNS-00530: protocol adapter error
>    32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory.
>
> The OracleServiceXXX runs as Local System.
>
> When I manually start the OracleServiceXXX on server, Oracle starts
> correctly. Why??

Since you elect to run a desupported version of Oracle you're on your own with this. I doubt Oracle will sell you a support contract on 8.1.7, although they might sell you some sort of 'support' agreement allowing you to access Metalink. This may be a 'known bug' with 8.1.7 and you may need to obtain a patch to correct it; I'd be contacting the local Oracle sales office and talk with your representative.

> Any Ideas?
> Regards.
> Fabio Zanotti

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon May 19 2008 - 10:22:31 CDT

Original text of this message