Re: disaster recovery

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:55:28 +0200

On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Ben <benalvey_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>This is getting aggravating, I've tried almost all options other than
>pl/sql route.
>
>Here is how our backup was taken:
>
>56> connect catalog *
>57>
>58> connect target *
>59>
>60> run {
>61> # Hot database level 0 whole backup
>62> allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
>63> allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE';
>64> backup
>65> incremental level 0
>66> skip inaccessible
>67> tag jde_hot_level0
>68> filesperset 10
>69> # recommended format
>70> format 'bk_%s_%p_%T'
>71> (database);
>72> }
>
>now that we've lost the catalog, spfile, controlfiles, and everything
>else. Is there a way to get the controlfile and spfile out of that
>backup?

If you didn't have controlfile autobackup on, which you didn't specify, shortly : NO.

Also it looks to me like the person who 'designed' the script likes to gamble or is looking for a career move.
Not backing up the archivelogs and using 'skip inacessible' for a database backup is not contributing to a consistent backup.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA