apache - dbi - running jobs after browser closed

From: <oldyork90_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:58:26 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings.

We have an apache server interfaced on a linux box to an oracle database, 9i. We use perl with dbi.

I'm fishing here, so it's just some ideas I need. Bottom line of all the following rambling is we need to be able to kill running jobs in oracle.

There is a monster sql generated report that a web users can execute. Since it does not return quickly, an understatement, the user kills the browser and tires again... and sometimes again. Messages to that fact are ignored. The problem is that the job is left running in the database. Just two instances of this report brings the system to it knees, uptime reports over 4.00.

There are a few ways to fix this. One if fix the damn report.

Another way is to kill the report. But how. If the user doesn't logout, and just kills the browser, the report continues to run. Perhaps we can monitor a web connection link with ajax calls... just a thought. If it doesn't call back every so often, the job is killed (how is another question, never killed an oracle process before).

We build the sql in the perl script and 'execute' it there. Is there any utility getting this installed into the database as a pl/sql script. Can a function limit itself to one instance in the schema? (I suppose it could leave a timestamp in a table) Received on Fri May 16 2008 - 10:58:26 CDT

Original text of this message