Re: Extracting full DDL from

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 9:43 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:04:30 -0700 (PDT), Altus
> > <silverb..._at_photobooks.com> wrote:
>
> >> I need to generate the DDL for all packages in one schema. It has to
> >> be an executable file so it can be run with one command.
> >> SQL> @allpackage.sql
>
> >> Problems:
> >> select from dba_source... ;
> >>       is lacking the final “/” and the beginning “CREATE OR REPLACE”
>
> >> Using DBMS_METADATA causes failures when the output is split across
> >> two chunks.
> >>       ... from XYZ where pri_key_v <end of chunk>
> >> <start of chunk>alue = 5;
>
> >> Does anybody have a clean way to produce this code?
>
> >> Oracle Enterprise 9.2.0.8 on solaris 8. (yes, this box is old. We do
> >> have better for other apps.)
>
> > In my experience it boils down the classical settings for single
> > column output
>
> > set heading off newpage 0 pagesize 0 feedback off
> > -- for dbms_metadata
> > set long 100000000000000 (whatever big number)
> > set linesize 132
>
> > hth
>
> 10g and 11g have a few more tools akin to the Oracle/Rdb (formerly
> DEC/Rdb) command : rmu/extract/item=database or item=all...  you could
> do the database, tables, procedures, etc...   or just let it create the
> whole thing...
>
> Alas, Oracle/Rdb is where Oracle RDBMS got most all of it's new features
> like partioned and locally managed, autoextend autoallocate tablespaces
> not to mention the CBO.- Hide quoted text -

Oracle has definitely picked up some features and/or methods from RDB but Oracle had a CBO before it purchased RDB. It really came from Ingres since Oracle hired the person behind the Ingres CBO to help develop the CBO for version 7.0. Also Oracle ported some of the features of Oracle into RDB. Oracle and DEC go way back so knowing where any feature really came from is iffy at best.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri May 16 2008 - 09:12:54 CDT

Original text of this message