Re: "desperately tiny" rdbms setup

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:03:03 +0200

gst wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> i would like to try to install an oracle rdbms (possibly XE) on a
> machine which is also the main development environment and is _way_
> "low spec" (1gig, laptop). it runs win xp (unfortunately).
> thus i would like to setup an "extremely lilliputian" version.
> everything from 8i to 11g/xe should be ok; is it feasible to squeeze
> the sga under 32mb? reading the docs i got the impression that it's
> practically impossible but... i dare to ask. java
> do you have some urls (howtos, etc.) handy that could be useful?
> thank you in advance
> gst

1GB laptop would default to 700MB for Oracle. Why aim for 32MB?!? about 100M is workable, and even allows for some options. I have been working 512MB~1GB XP laptops with the database, Designer and iAS (pl/sql) running. Nothing to be jealous about, but more workable than my current 4GB Vista (yuck!)

FvB Received on Fri May 16 2008 - 03:03:03 CDT

Original text of this message