Re: Restore and Rename a database from RMAN backupsets

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:36:47 -0500

mccmx_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>> Is there a particular part of the procedure you can not or do not want
>> to do?
>>

> Yeah - I wanted to avoid connecting to the production database. Is it
> possible to do a 'duplicate database' without connecting to a TARGET
> DB...?
>
> The target and auxilliary are in remote locations, and connectivity
> between them is limited.
>
> Matt

Why do you think you will be connecting to the prod db? Take a look at: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb001.htm

"You can use the RMAN DUPLICATE command to create a duplicate database ***from backups*** of the target database (primary database) while retaining the original target database. The duplicate database can be identical to the target database or contain only a subset of the tablespaces in the target database. The target site and the duplicate site can be on separate hosts or on the same host." Received on Thu May 15 2008 - 20:36:47 CDT

Original text of this message