Re: disaster recovery

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 11:31:32 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 10:14 am, Ben <benal..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> 10.2.0.2 EE aix5l 64bit
>
> I guess I'll just reference my post that was somehow moved.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5zej6a
>
> I was wondering about the statement of better to use a current
> controlfile rather than one that I recovered. Why is it better?
>
> I believe I'm going to have to do a pitr, so why not just use the
> controlfile and spfile that was included in the hotbackup that I'm
> going to be using for recovery?

I think it's just easier to let Oracle do if possible, but if you are PITR then do what you need to. As always, it depends. A lot of calls for help here indicate people are unclear on when to use which syntax (like using backup controlfile and such), often they will make it more complicated than necessary and blow it. The trick is to understand how Oracle compares SCN's in datafile headers and controlfiles, in order to decide what recovery is needed. The bit about disk versus tape - if you still have an original controlfile on disk and the archived logs that the recovered data files will need, you probably want to use that one, letting Oracle recover as much as it can, and rollback the rest. But it depends on why you want PITR - what happened that you don't want to be committed? If it is just all your disks got wiped including archived logs and you need to restore to the past, just do that.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Maybe it's just customers who are stable enough to use remote DBA