Re: Memory Sizing Advice

From: Helma <helma.vinke_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 05:27:46 -0700 (PDT)

"I've got the hardware budget left to bump up the memory on the new system a bit if that'll help and I'm tempted to do it (hence this thread). "

This seems as an uninformed attempt to solve a problem. If it doesn't harm - it might work.

Resist your temptation to this "checklist approach" if you seek insight in the problem. Adopt a methodology as Cary Milsap provides. Analyse before implementing a solution.

But the temptation to buy more hardware is strong. I remember a situation where a new and critical application was performing very badly. The CEO personally ordered a new 8 CPU machine with more RAM to push performance in order to buy time for the programmers to tune the application.
The old machine was a 1 CPU machine. There was an increase of performance between 0 to 2 % (if i remember well) , instead of the 800% the CEO expected.

So if you want to try the RAM scenario, do as you please. But please measure your performance in response times, and not some hitratio. And then have a look at the difference in performance.

H. Received on Wed May 14 2008 - 07:27:46 CDT

Original text of this message