Re: ORA-01483: invalid length for DATE or NUMBER bind variable :(

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 07:17:38 -0700 (PDT)

On May 13, 10:08 am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> "pluton" <zielonad..._at_gazeta.pl> wrote innews:g0c5q2$4m2$1_at_inews.gazeta.pl:
>

> > Hi, I have the following table :
>
> > A INTEGER (-> 19300 )
> > B NUMBER(5) (->1)
> > CD DATE (->2008-05-10 10:51:14)
> > E INTEGER (-> 50070 )
> > NOTE VARCHAR2(100) ( -> 'short text, no national characters' )
>
> > I am trying to insert values as above (indicated by -> )
>
> > On the first database operation is successfull, on another I have
> > ORA-01483.
>
> > The only difference between these two databases is
> > NLS_CHARACTERSET EE8ISO8859P2 (success)
> > NLS_CHARACTERSET AL32UTF8 (failure)
>
> > Is NLS_CHARACTERSET possible reason of problem ?
>
> Possible? yes.
> Likely?  no
>
> With Oracle characters between single quote marks are STRINGS!
>
> 'This is a string, 2008-05-15, & not a date datatype'
>
> When you want/need a date datatype use TO_DATE() function.- Hide quoted text -

Pluton, you really need to post the actual insert or update statement so that board readers can see exactly what you are doing. What is the default date format setting on each database? In each session where you perform the insert? A difference in the nls_date_format database or OS environment variable settings could easily cause this error with a date value. For a problem with a number I need to see the SQL to form any ideas.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue May 13 2008 - 09:17:38 CDT

Original text of this message