Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 10:34:35 -0700 (PDT)

On May 8, 4:38 pm, yf..._at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Malcolm Dew-Jones) wrote:
> joel garry (joel-ga..._at_home.com) wrote:
>
> : I think google (...snip...)
> : ... And two identical searches _still_ may not give consistent
> : results.
>
> Since when is google supposed to give consistent results?
>
> That would be a _bad_ thing.
>
> Any algorithm that can tries to reduce terabytes of data into one useful
> page of information must be making a lot of assumptions.  If a result page
> doesn't change pretty frequently then that would be the sign of a terrible
> algorithm.

Well, I'm a db geek, and for me an algorithm that doesn't reduce to correct results when given enough specificity is a bad, bad algorithm.

But even worse is an actual commercial transaction that doesn't follow the basic rules of transactions. Been there, done that, got the credit card bill, got the fraud investigation going.

Face it, google's entire business model is based on advertising. They have no accountability at all for it. Great for them, evil incarnate. And it does crack me up when they serve me up Arabic or Chinese ads, I have no idea why they think I can read either.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Golden Shield Project:  http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200803/chinese-firewall