Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 10:05:03 -0700 (PDT)

On May 9, 5:40 pm, hpuxrac <> wrote:
> On May 9, 7:14 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
> snip
> snip
> > > Do you have something specific to backup the "Intel hardware sucks" line?
> > I am pretty sure he must be referring to x86. His arguments sound like
> > coming from the old RISC vs. CISC dichotomy era, which is long gone.
> Hard to guess when Joel makes such a broad statement. ... he seems to
> be combining some thought about the size of the linux kernel and
> ancillary software getting larger combined with a shot against intel.

Pretty accurate.

> I did my best at my place to keep amd in the race but at the time of
> the purchase decision they just weren't a factor at that time.  Things
> change and continue to change ... unless one gives a specific set of
> benchmark results at a point in time this just sounds "not so
> relevant" imho.

Ramon got it right. It's not long gone for me, as I'm currently transitioning from risc to Itanium on hp-ux (not my decision, and the only testing is management half-listening to salespeople then doing what is cheapest. They are going heavily into Xeon for the non-Oracle stuff, and using vmware to run multiple XP clients on mission critical operations. Random lockups, "unable to load profile" and some bizarro registry issues are the result.). I do respect your actual testing, though, and secretly hope I'm wrong.

-- is bogus.
That darn Moscone center: