Re: Memory Sizing Advice

From: Pat <pat.casey_at_service-now.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 08:00:48 -0700 (PDT)

On May 10, 8:00 am, "Mike Jones" <mj20..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Pat" <pat.ca..._at_service-now.com> wrote in message

> > The question I have is, is there any downside to me buying, say, a 32G
> > box and setting the SGA size at 20G? Will I actually end up harming my
> > performance with an over-large SGA (assuming I have enough physical
> > memory to keep the box out of swap)?
>
> I am in agreement with bhonaker. I do not see any issues with doing this.
> However, as others have indicated, this may not solve your problem. But I
> don't see it causing harm. Is it possible you could comment on the
> configuration of your current system as well as the configuration of the
> replacement system?
>
> Mike

Current system is:

4 X Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (8 cores) 8 G RAM
1.1 TB of storage (SCSI RAID 10 array, direct attached) Red Hat AS4, 32 bit

Oracle 10.2.0.3 (32 bit)
2.3 G SGA Replacement system is:

2 X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5310 @ 1.60GHz (8 cores) 16 G RAM
1.6 TB of storage (SCSI RAID !0 array, direct attached) Red Hat

Oracle 10.2.0.3 (64 bit)
12 G SGA I've got the hardware budget left to bump up the memory on the new system a bit if that'll help and I'm tempted to do it (hence this thread).

One totally off topic question I do have though is, does anybody have experience with the new 4 core line of intel chips? My operations guys are procuring these now instead of the old dual core Xeons, but they make me nervous since the new ones report lower bogomips than the old ones. I'm aware that the "bogo" in bogomips stands for bogus, so I'm totally wiling to be convinced the new chips are, in fact, faster, but I'd love to hear any real world experience here. Received on Sun May 11 2008 - 10:00:48 CDT

Original text of this message