Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:53:56 -0700 (PDT)

On May 8, 7:38 pm, yf..._at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Malcolm Dew-Jones) wrote:
> joel garry (joel-ga..._at_home.com) wrote:
>
> : I think google (...snip...)
> : ... And two identical searches _still_ may not give consistent
> : results.
>
> Since when is google supposed to give consistent results?
>
> That would be a _bad_ thing.
>
> Any algorithm that can tries to reduce terabytes of data into one useful
> page of information must be making a lot of assumptions. If a result page
> doesn't change pretty frequently then that would be the sign of a terrible
> algorithm.

I am all for giving exact and consistent results every time...

If we lived in a constant, immovable, static world that is!

Just freeze the clock, and the Google results will be completely consistent...

Last time I saw a search engine with consistent results was Altavista. It had a piece of information gathering software (called "scooter") which took a month to traverse the www. Google results are almost realtime.

-RFH Received on Fri May 09 2008 - 11:53:56 CDT

Original text of this message