Re: Work with SQL*Plus through command prompt windows

From: <hpcasalino_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

On May 8, 12:33 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 9:58 am, hpcasal..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > Since you won't supply the command you attempted to use to access an
> > > Oracle database through SQL*Plus tell us why we should take our time
> > > to try and solve an issue where no real information is available.
>
> > > Post what you did and what error messages you received.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell
>
> > Ok, I apologize....this is my first day as a real DBA after I finished
> > college, no more practice...nothing ...this is real. Also, this is the
> > first time using this tool to try to contact someone who could help
> > me.
> > Well, after I launch SQLPlus in the command prompt I tried to see the
> > blocks that I got corrupted after a hot backup, and I ran v
> > $backup_corruption...and the only message I got was "unknown
> > command"..... the thing is that if you could help me giving me some
> > help what should I do...or may be some link where I can read ...I will
> > do it....I just want to know which is the best way to make a backup
> > and recovery by using the SQLPlus through command prompt
> > window.........
> > Thanks
>
> Well, one thing about being a DBA is you are expected to know all
> about these things, or be able to find them out in a timely manner.
> The _one thing_ you cannot get wrong is recovery!
>
> First of all, RMAN is a separate tool from SQL*Plus.  There are many
> varieties of Oracle and means of controlling it, you need to be much
> more specific about your platform, version and so on.  I wrote a
> minifaq for this group to help newbies:  http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm
>
> There are online resources to help you out, including a "2-day DBA" to
> get you started, and the docs are searchable athttp://tahiti.oracle.com,
> including a basic backup book for some versions.  Some of the Oracle
> training varies from the real world, so online fora help you reconcile
> that.  But few people will hold your hand completely, you need to show
> effort and a grasp of the basics.  So be sure and read that Concepts
> manual!
>
> As far as your listener issue, that may mean your listener isn't
> running, and may mean your  environment is incorrect.  Do you have a
> senior DBA or even developer there to help you get started?  I'm sure
> some people are curious how you could manage to get a DBA job with no
> experience, too.
>
> The command you perhaps wanted to run from sqlplus was:
> select * from v$backup_corruption;
>
> But why are you running that command?
>
> You probably want to (from the OS command line):
> echo $ORACLE_BASE $ORACLE_HOME $PATH $ORACLE_SID $TNS_ADMIN
> lsnrctl status
>
> You probably want to search your client machine for tnsnames.ora, you
> may have been using one misconfigured for your server and listener.
> Or maybe you just haven't started the listener.  Hard to say without
> knowing exactly what your configuration is.
>
> jg
> [...]

Yes, you are right.. I don't have much experience on this....I am level 1, I am really new...I have just left college...and I know things...but they looks different when you have to work in the real life..and not just doing some homework ..... yes...but I want to

learn...and I think that I have to start with something...I am so
nervous..and may be that why I get lost..I have to get practice on
this......is my first day....

Thank you for understand. Received on Thu May 08 2008 - 12:39:38 CDT

Original text of this message