Re: Work with SQL*Plus through command prompt windows

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 19:18:40 +0200

On Thu, 8 May 2008 09:58:56 -0700 (PDT), hpcasalino_at_gmail.com wrote:

>On May 8, 11:34 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>> On May 8, 11:17 am, hpcasal..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Dear All,
>>
>> > I have big problems trying to access a database using SQL*Plus through
>> > command prompt. I am a beginner DBA, and my first challenge is to make
>> > a backup and recovery of an Oracle9i database.
>> > I tried to access through SQL*Plus windows but it showed me "TSNames
>> > No listener"...and accessing using SQL*Plus through command prompt I
>> > could, but now...I can do anything else, I can't use RMAN, V$ .... I
>> > got completely lost..and I will appreciate so much any help.
>>
>> > Thanks in advance for your time.
>>
>> > Bets regards,
>> > BeginnerDBA
>>
>> Since you won't supply the command you attempted to use to access an
>> Oracle database through SQL*Plus tell us why we should take our time
>> to try and solve an issue where no real information is available.
>>
>> Post what you did and what error messages you received.
>>
>> David Fitzjarrell
>
>Ok, I apologize....this is my first day as a real DBA after I finished
>college, no more practice...nothing ...this is real. Also, this is the
>first time using this tool to try to contact someone who could help
>me.
>Well, after I launch SQLPlus in the command prompt I tried to see the
>blocks that I got corrupted after a hot backup, and I ran v
>$backup_corruption...and the only message I got was "unknown
>command"..... the thing is that if you could help me giving me some
>help what should I do...or may be some link where I can read ...I will
>do it....I just want to know which is the best way to make a backup
>and recovery by using the SQLPlus through command prompt
>window.........
>Thanks

I'm not sure you are real DBA. I would be frigthened to death by a DBA who assumes you can make a backup of a database through sqlplus. I would be frightened to death by a DBA who doesn't know SQL, and who doesn't know v$backup_corruption is a view, which you need to SELECT from.

I would you advise you to quit your job, before you create havoc and are laid off, and go back to college, and ask your money back.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA