Re: Work with SQL*Plus through command prompt windows

From: <>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 19:18:40 +0200

On Thu, 8 May 2008 09:58:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On May 8, 11:34 am, "" <> wrote:
>> On May 8, 11:17 am, wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> > I have big problems trying to access a database using SQL*Plus through
>> > command prompt. I am a beginner DBA, and my first challenge is to make
>> > a backup and recovery of an Oracle9i database.
>> > I tried to access through SQL*Plus windows but it showed me "TSNames
>> > No listener"...and accessing using SQL*Plus through command prompt I
>> > could, but now...I can do anything else, I can't use RMAN, V$ .... I
>> > got completely lost..and I will appreciate so much any help.
>> > Thanks in advance for your time.
>> > Bets regards,
>> > BeginnerDBA
>> Since you won't supply the command you attempted to use to access an
>> Oracle database through SQL*Plus tell us why we should take our time
>> to try and solve an issue where no real information is available.
>> Post what you did and what error messages you received.
>> David Fitzjarrell
>Ok, I apologize....this is my first day as a real DBA after I finished
>college, no more practice...nothing ...this is real. Also, this is the
>first time using this tool to try to contact someone who could help
>Well, after I launch SQLPlus in the command prompt I tried to see the
>blocks that I got corrupted after a hot backup, and I ran v
>$backup_corruption...and the only message I got was "unknown
>command"..... the thing is that if you could help me giving me some
>help what should I do...or may be some link where I can read ...I will
>do it....I just want to know which is the best way to make a backup
>and recovery by using the SQLPlus through command prompt

I'm not sure you are real DBA. I would be frigthened to death by a DBA who assumes you can make a backup of a database through sqlplus. I would be frightened to death by a DBA who doesn't know SQL, and who doesn't know v$backup_corruption is a view, which you need to SELECT from.

I would you advise you to quit your job, before you create havoc and are laid off, and go back to college, and ask your money back.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA