Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: Ivan Marsh <>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 12:05:20 -0500

On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:46:45 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh <> wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:27:33 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>> > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution -
>> > Red Hat - and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
>> > base.
> > Thus showing that the Oracle chief architect in question doesn't
> > understand Linux at all.
> He doesn't have to understand it. He has chosen not to understand it.
> Oracle Corporation is in the:
> "Corporate Server Business".
> The Oracle DB and most other apps do not run on "Linux". They run on an
> "Enterprise Linux".
> There is a huge difference.
> The fact that you can hack your iPhone and run some Linux derivative on
> it is inconsequential to Oracle.

Uh... Lucent/Avaya phone switches run Linux embedded on many of their components.

Since I'm reading this in a Sun group... RedHat does not run on a Sparc station... but other distros do.

RedHat does not run on PPC... but other distros do.

This has nothing to do with a hack of an insignificant toy.

"Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"