Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

On May 8, 6:22 am, Michael Schmarck <usenet-mich..._at_schmarck.cn> wrote:
> Rainer Duffner <rai..._at_ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> > Michael Schmarck schrieb:
>
> >> Because Linux is different? How many Windows, HP-UX, AIX
> >> distributions are out there?
>
> > Cute to leave out "Solaris" in the above list ;-)
>
> Yes, wasn't it? :)
>
> But even with Solaris it makes sense that Oracle only supports Solaris.
> After all, only Solaris 10 (or 11, when it comes out) is the /official/
> Solaris.
>
> That's still not comparable to Linux - RHEL is certainly not the only
> official Linux there is.
>
> Michael

> That's still not comparable to Linux - RHEL is certainly not the only
> official Linux there is.

You are obviously a Linux desktop user and have no idea about administering
corporate servers.

Oracle never said that RedHat is the only "official Linux". Oracle only runs on "Enterprise Linux" -a category very different from "Linux".

What Oracle wants to say is:

 (1) Oracle is in the server business
 (2) Oracle db only runs on "Enterprise Linux"
 (3) Our official enterprise Linux is RedHat

The mistake many of you (I have really clarified this more often that I can count) are making is trying to be at level (3) when you don't even reach level (1).

-Ramon Received on Thu May 08 2008 - 11:40:08 CDT

Original text of this message