Re: What is the oralce$SID process?

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 08:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

On May 7, 5:32 am, gazzag <> wrote:
> On 7 May, 09:11, Woody Ling <> wrote:
> > I type "ps -ef | grep oracle" and find that there are many oracle$SID
> > processes. I search from the google that it says they are
> > "nonessential Oracle processes from the server side". Could anyone
> > please explain more?
> > Thanks.
> > Woody Ling
> > Hong Kong
> Server processes:
> -g

Woody, The reference link to the Oracle Concepts manual that gazzag porvided should have answered your question. I do not think the article/post you found via google search was a very good find.

If you are or are going to be an Oracle DBA then the Concepts manual is required reading followed by the DBA Administration manual.

If you are a developer then the Oracle Application Developers Guide - Fundamentals is probably the manual to start with.

All the major manuals are available online. If you have any folloup questions feel free to post back.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed May 07 2008 - 10:27:35 CDT

Original text of this message