Re: Character set: moving from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8

From: Laurenz Albe <>
Date: 07 May 2008 07:38:30 GMT

jeremy <> wrote:
> Could anyone point me in the direction of any guides which could
> advise on the likely steps required to make applications code work on
> a database created as UTF8 character set versus WE8ISO8859P1 (against
> which the application was developed and runs in production now)? I am
> really looking for suggested settings of any NLS parameters that might
> enable compatibility and a checklist of the things that might need to
> be reviewed.

The two things that come to my mind at first are:

1.) Alter all table columns that were created as CHAR(n) or VARCHAR2(n)

    to CHAR(n CHAR) and VARCHAR2(n CHAR), respectively.     Otherwise you may find that you sometimes cannot store three letters     in a CHAR(3) column.

2.) Set the client character set correctly (i.e. to the encoding that your

    application expects) in NLS_LANG.

It is a common mistake to assume that the client character set should always be set to the same value as the database character set.

Laurenz Albe Received on Wed May 07 2008 - 02:38:30 CDT

Original text of this message