Re: Differences in Range Scan Performance between Binary and NLS Indexes

From: Pat <pat.casey_at_service-now.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 14:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

On May 6, 2:26 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---------------------
> > | 0 | SELECT STATEMENT | | 250 | 11750 | 46 (0)|
> > 00:00:01 |
> > |* 1 | VIEW | | 250 | 11750 | 46 (0)| 00:00:01 |
> > |* 2 | COUNT STOPKEY | | | | | |
> > | 3 | VIEW | | 251 | 8534 | 46 (0)| 00:00:01
> > |
> > |* 4 | INDEX FULL SCAN| CMDB_CI_LOWER_NAME_SYS_ID | 16997 |
> > 813K| 46 (0)| 00:00:01 |
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---------------------
>
> > Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
>
> > 1 - filter("RNUM">0)
> > 2 - filter(ROWNUM<=250)
> > 4 - filter(LOWER("name") LIKE '%badge%')
>
> > Statistics
> > 141 recursive calls
> > 0 db block gets
> > 2964 consistent gets
> > 0 physical reads
> > 0 redo size
> > 439 bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
> > 400 bytes received via SQL*Net from client
> > 2 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
> > 0 sorts (memory)
> > 0 sorts (disk)
> > 1 rows processed
>
> > Recently though, we started storing NLS characters in this column
> > (european customers), so we'll have values like:
>
> > badger
> > bädger <-- note the accented a
>
> > The users want both of the above to collate next to each other.
>
> > So we, not unnaturally, put the database in linguisitc mode:
>
> > alter session set nls_sort=german;
> > alter session set nls_comp=linguistic;
>
> > Then we issue the same query. The query plan here involves a sort, but
> > the query returns a grand total of 1 record, so the sort isn't
> > material to the response time.

> > 1) Am I doing something wrong here? Why does putting the system into
> > NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP make this big a difference on performance?
> > 2) Is there an index I should add here that would allow some form of
> > efficient querying across this set? I know I'm going to have to do a
> > full scan here (contains queries being what they are), but why is my
> > full scan 10X slower in linguistic mode?
> > 3) Is there some other recommended approach to getting linguistic
> > collation working efficiently? Shadow columns aren't really practical
> > here (and even then I'm not sure what I'd put in the shadow unless I
> > wrote my own german to english unaccenter).
>
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> See metalink Note:30779.1
>
> "Setting NLS_SORT to anything other than BINARY causes a sort to use a
> full table scan, regardless of the path chosen by the optimizer.
> BINARY is the exception because indexes are built according to a
> binary order of keys. Thus the optimizer can use an index to satisfy
> the ORDER BY clause when NLS_SORT is set to BINARY. If NLS_SORT is set
> to any linguistic sort, the optimizer must include a full table scan
> and a full sort in the execution plan. "
>
> Things may be different in different versions, I wouldn't know.

Even though my query plan says INDEX FAST FULL SCAN he's actually doing TABLE ACCESS FULL?
SQL> select "name" from cmdb_ci where "sys_id" like '%abc%' order by "name";

1530 rows selected.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.20

Execution Plan

Plan hash value: 502630801
| Id  | Operation	   | Name    | Rows  | Bytes |TempSpc| Cost (%CPU)|
Time     |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT   |	     | 16997 |	 813K|	     |	3190   (3)|
00:00:39 |
|   1 |  SORT ORDER BY	   |	     | 16997 |	 813K|	2008K|	3190   (3)|
00:00:39 |
|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS FULL| CMDB_CI | 16997 |	 813K|	     |	2979
(3)| 00:00:36 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

   2 - filter("sys_id" LIKE '%abc%')

Statistics

	148  recursive calls
	  0  db block gets
      13165  consistent gets
	  0  physical reads
	  0  redo size
      40810  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
       1511  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
	103  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
	  1  sorts (memory)
	  0  sorts (disk)
       1530  rows processed

So in this case, a TABLE ACCESS FULL, followed by a sort in binary mode is 5x faster than an index full scan in linguistic mode?

If the only problem was that linguistic forced him to table scan, I'd expect him to return data in 200ms or so (the time a table scan takes) as opposed to 1.3 seconds, neh? Received on Tue May 06 2008 - 16:36:47 CDT

Original text of this message