DBPITR and ORA-16005 Error: database requires recovery.

From: <gbahut_at_ravenpack.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:04:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

 I am trying to test database point in time recovery scenarios in which I want to Open read-only the database before using RESETLOGS clause. The test was ran on a Oracle 10gR2 single instance.

  1. Perform backup using RMAN default channel, no recovery catalog and having control file autobackup enabled. RUN { BACKUP DATABASE; BACKUP ARCHIVELOG ALL NOT BACKED UP DELETE ALL INPUT;
    }
  2. Get the current SCN from V$DATABASE. Call it SCN1.
  3. DROP a table. Shutdown Immediate and mount the database.
  4. Perform a DBPITR up to SCN1: RUN { SET UNTIL SCN [SCN1]; RESTORE DATABASE; RECOVER DATABASE;
    }
  5. When trying to open the database in read only mode RMAN> SQL 'ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY' The command fails with ORA-16005: database requires recovery.

I can only open the database read-write using RESETLOGS clause, but this leave me without the chance of verifying the data before creating a new database incarnation.

Does anyone have any clue about why is this happening?

Thanks for your help.

G. Bahut. Received on Fri May 02 2008 - 12:04:37 CDT

Original text of this message