Re: How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database

From: yossarian <yossarian99_at_operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:55:29 +0200

Molok wrote:

>> * Windows shared folders
> mhm..i have to "share" the database?

Since Access is an embedded DB, not a client/server one, you must find a way to open the MDB file directly from the Oracle server. Windows shared folders come to mind.

>> * ODBC

> This is necessary on the "ms-access" machine to point at the db with a
> dsn,it's right?

No, ODBC must be present on the Oracle server because Heterogeneous Connectivity make calls to the ODBC stack.

>> * Oracle Heterogeneous Connectivity

> i'm seeng a guide on this thing. i presume that my oracle versione has
> the tools pre-installed.

No tools, just the Heterogeneous Connectivity libraries. You have to modify a bunch of configuration files and bounce the listener IIRC.

Kind regards, Y. Received on Wed Apr 30 2008 - 09:55:29 CDT

Original text of this message