Question about shrinking sga_target.

From: Adam Sandler <corn29_at_excite.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Today the database shutdown and I received error codes 01034 and 27101. When I tried to restart and connect I got 00821. The 00821 was due to the specified value of sga_target was too small. To get the database started, I created a pfile from the spfile, edited the pfile's sga_target line (specified more space; went from 320M to 640M), created a spfile from the pfile and started the database back up.

I was able to start the database but now I want to put the sga_target back to the value where it has been for years. When I did this from a command line it failed:

alter system set sga_target=320M scope=both;

ORA-02097: parameter cannot be modified because the specified value is invalid
ORA-00827 could not shrink sga_target to specified value

I'm stumped here... how can I set sga_target to a smaller value than the current setting? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Received on Tue Apr 29 2008 - 19:26:34 CDT

Original text of this message