Re: DBCA failing after 10.2.03 upgrade

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:26:37 +0200

Mike Jones wrote:
> After upgrading from Oracle 10g 10.2.0.1.0 to 10.2.0.3.0 I am no longer
> able to use DBCA to create a new database. I believe the problem is the
> 10.2.0.3.0 patch set does not upgrade the seed database used by DBCA
> from 10.2.0.1.0 to 10.2.0.3.0.

Again? Oracle failed to do so with some 9i release, too. You'd suspect some kind of learning mechanism...

  Thus after DBCA completes the DB
> replication and attempts to start the instance it fails with a
> disconnect (essentially the same error one receives if they do not
> upgrade their current databases after the patch installation). This
> behavior is understandable given it's attempting to start a 10.2.0.1.0
> instance. My question is how can I update the seed database or otherwise
> utilize DBCA to create new databases after an upgrade?

The way you demonstrate to be familiar with below, plus the following:

- install the base line
- install all pre-seeded db instance flavors you want
- upgrade software plus instances
- save upgraded instances 'as template'

One reason I don't like seed databases; the other one being the increased download time - a couple of scripts would speed up the total installing process more than this seed db stuff.

FvB Received on Sun Apr 27 2008 - 06:26:37 CDT

Original text of this message