Re: DBCA failing after 10.2.03 upgrade

From: Mike Jones <mj2008b_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:07:00 -0600

"Maxim Demenko" <mdemenko_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:48136080.4070203_at_gmail.com...
> Mike Jones schrieb:
>> After upgrading from Oracle 10g 10.2.0.1.0 to 10.2.0.3.0 I am no longer
>> able to use DBCA to create a new database. I believe the problem is the
>> 10.2.0.3.0 patch set does not upgrade the seed database used by DBCA from
>> 10.2.0.1.0 to 10.2.0.3.0. Thus after DBCA completes the DB replication
>> and attempts to start the instance it fails with a disconnect
>> (essentially the same error one receives if they do not upgrade their
>> current databases after the patch installation). This behavior is
>> understandable given it's attempting to start a 10.2.0.1.0 instance. My
>> question is how can I update the seed database or otherwise utilize DBCA
>> to create new databases after an upgrade?
>>
>> I am running Oracle 10g 10.2.0.1.0 with the 10.2.0.3.0 patch upgrade,
>> Oracle Enterprise Linux 4 Update 6 (x86, 32 bit, Oracles version of
>> Linux). I've used DBUA and/or catupgrd.sql to upgrade my existing
>> databases without problem. I've read the release notes, performed the
>> necessary pre/post installation tasks, etc. I can't seem to find any
>> reference to this issue through Google or in these forums. Am I the only
>> one experiencing this problem?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> I suggest, you should investigate the upgrade log file to find out, why
> your seed databases were not patched. In addition Note 556639.1 may be
> helpful.

Thanks Maxim. I have reviewed the installation log files and did not see anything about a failure to install the seed database files. Is there something specific I should be looking for? One thing to note from the log file are a number of the following entries:

INFO: OUI-10070:The patch oracle.client 10.2.0.3.0, which is part of patch set Oracle Database 10g Release 2 Patch Set 2 10.2.0.3.0 , has not been selected for installation.

Perhaps the seed database is part of something I have not selected (though I don't recall being given the option to select anything)?

The article was helpful and after manually copying the seed database files to the Oracle installation I am now able to use DBCA to create databases. However I did check the permissions on the seed database files and the parent (templates) directory and the OS permissions do allow the oracle user to replace the files in question (I copied the new files from the patch DVD as the oracle user and did not experience any problems).

I find it odd that I am the only person (so it seems) to have encountered this problem. I've encountered it on three different systems. I've used three different 10.2.0.3.0 patch downloads. The only thing common between them all is the original DB (10.2.0.1.0) installation media. Perhaps I'll download it again and give it another try.

Anyway I do have a work around (now that I know where the seed database files are stored on the 10.2.0.3.0 patch DVD) that allows me to proceed but I would like to figure out what the root cause of this problem is. Received on Sat Apr 26 2008 - 16:07:00 CDT

Original text of this message