Re: Recover after open

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:04:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 22, 3:19 pm, "astalavista" <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a database in archive log mode
> I did a cold backup once a week.
> If I restore the database from cold backup
> and if I open it, can I recover it after
> forward one day (applying archives) for example ???
>
> Thanks for your lights
>
> Oracle 9.2.0.8

No. Once the database instance has been opened you cannot perform instance-wide media recovery.

If you mean, could you restore a cold backup set, startup mount and recover it rolling forward ... yes, that is possible. You would need to tell oracle during media recovery that you are using a backup controlfile and
recover database using backup controlfile until cancel or until a specific time or change number.

consult with the docs for that release as to the exact syntax.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Apr 22 2008 - 16:04:13 CDT

Original text of this message