Re: Reducing Oracle license costs by changing cpu_count?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 20, 7:59 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 20, 10:01 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

> > zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Oracle's cpu_count parameter is same of no of cpu's shown in Windows
> > > task manager. I have seen 2 dual core chips on the server which show
> > > up as 4 cpu's in task manager and cpu_count to 4. I know, Oracle has
> > > licenecsing for multi-core chips, hperhreading etc, but my question is
> > > if I reduce cpu_count init.ora, will it effect Oracle licensing. I
> > > guess I have to ask my Oracle account manager.
>
> > If you want to know what Oracle sees run this report:http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_feature_usage_rpt.html
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > University of Washington
> > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org-Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, when I ran this report, I got:
>                                CPU Core CPU Socket
> Timestamp          CPU Count      Count      Count
> 11/03/07 00:01             4        N/A          4
> 04/20/08 22:01             2        N/A          4

> Do n't what to make of this output.

If you have one of the standard editions, the number of sockets becomes important. SE1 can't be licensed for you. See http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=11365&media=os_local_license_agreement.

I believe CPU_COUNT is used for some internal tuning purposes. Note the caution about it in the docs. Note also Oracle can do a license audit, and some Oracle salespeople will threaten you with it if you even ask about this stuff. I for one do not take such threats well.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"The doors in the third car did not open to let people out at the