Re: db_create_file_dest cannot be a sub-directory of ASM diskgroup?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 21, 9:01 am, Woody Ling <woodyl..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created an ASM diskgroup, +DATA, and create some directories
> under it by ASMCMD (e.g. oradata, flash_recovery_area etc).
>
> When I try to create a new oracle database by dbca, I choose OMF and
> set the Database Area as "+DATA/oradata/", it will report error that
> the destination string cannot be translated.
>
> Does it mean that the db_create_file_dest should be the "root path" of
> the ASM diskgroup?
>
> Thanks.
> Woody Ling
> Hong Kong

See Administrator's Guide, Using Automatic Storage Management chapter, About ASM Filenames section (can't give you online link to the docs because Oracle's online docs library seems to be malfunctioning at the moment.) Here's a quote from the 10.2 docs (emphasis in asterisks is mine):

You can use the fully qualified filename to reference (read or retrieve) an ASM file. You can also use other abbreviated filename formats, described later in this section, to reference an ASM file.

ASM generates a fully qualified filename upon any request to create a file. *A creation request does not — in fact, cannot — specify a fully qualified filename.* Instead, it uses a simpler syntax to specify a file, such as an alias or just a disk group name. ASM then creates the file, placing it in the correct ASM "path" according to file type, and then assigns an appropriate fully qualified filename. If you specify an alias in the creation request, ASM also creates the alias so that it references the fully qualified filename.

Multiple File Creation Request
This is a request that can occur multiple times to create an ASM file. For example, if you assign a value to the initialization parameter DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST, you can issue a CREATE TABLESPACE statement (without a filename specification) multiple times. Each time, ASM creates a different unique datafile name.

*One form of the ASM filename to use in this type of request is an incomplete filename, which is just a disk group name preceded by a plus sign.* In this case, you set DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST to an incomplete filename (for example, +dgroup2), and whenever a command is executed that must create a database file in DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST, the file is created in the designated disk group and assigned a unique fully qualified name. You can use an incomplete filename in other *_DEST initialization parameters.

---

Another form acceptable with multiple file creation requests is
incomplete filename with template. That is, you can only use '+DGNAME'
or '+DGNAME(template)' for *_FILE_DEST.

Hth,
   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)