Re: Reducing Oracle license costs by changing cpu_count?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:46:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 20, 5:22 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Our Windows Servers have 4 CPU’s. Our licenses are based on no of
> cpu’s. Our cpu utilization typically is 10%. Is it possible to change
> cpu_count parameter e.g. 1 to Oracle will only use 1 cpu. I changed
> this parameter and did find that parameter remains in fact to 1. Now
> question is whether Oracle will agree to this technique.
>
> I know For Oracle free ware, is Oracle Database  Express Edition,
> Oracle license is limited to 1 CPU and 4GB. How does Oracle forces
> that, i.e., is it something in buitlt in Oracle that Oracle software
> will not use more than 1 CPU.
>
> Thanks.

It is not only the cpu count but also the core count and the relevant oracle multi core cpu licensing factor that counts.

For example a quad core intel or amd cpu counts as 2 ( 4 times .5 ) while a dual core cores as 1 cpu for licensing purpose varies based on hardware platform etc.

To get below a count of 4 on windows I think you have to have a machine that has less than 4 cpu's ( pull some of them out in other words or use a different box ).

Certain platforms and os combinations ( solaris for example ) allow you to partition the machine but it has to be a hard partition and not sure windows has any such "oracle validated" type of configs.

Look at the oracle licensing and multi core documents. Received on Sun Apr 20 2008 - 18:46:09 CDT

Original text of this message