Re: Cannot remote startup database if dynamically registered with the listener?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:08:45 +0200

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:35:13 -0700 (PDT), Woody Ling <woodyling_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 1:35 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT), Woody Ling
>>

>> <woodyl..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> >I get error message when I try to use sqlplus to startup my db
>> >remotely: sqlplus sys_at_xyzdb as sysdba
>>
>> >ERROR:
>> >ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested
>> >in connect descriptor
>>
>> >I found that I cannot use sqlplus to remote startup my database
>> >without static entry "(SID_DESC=(GLOBAL_NAME........))" in
>> >listener.ora. Since some documents said that we should use dynamically
>> >registered with listener for load balance in RAC environment, is there
>> >any way to startup db without static db register?
>>
>> >Thanks.
>> >Woody Ling
>> >Hong Kong
>>
>> There is.
>> You don't mention a version, but this probably works in both 9i and
>> 10g.
>> It is called OEM.
>> OEM simply issues a srvctl command on the remote host.
>> If you don't use OEM, yes, you do need static registration.
>>
>> Hth
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

>Actually I am using OEM web interface and dynamic registration for
>database service so that the listener can "see" the instance and
>database when the pmon is started and registered itself to the
>listener.
>
>The problem is that when the rac database and all instances are
>stopped, there is no pmon process and the listener does not know any
>database service is available.
>
>At this moment, when I login SYS as sysdba through an OEM web
>interface, the OEM communicates with listener and finds that there is
>no database available and reports ORA-12514. There is no way for me to
>startup the database.
>
>The problem can only be solved by adding static entry in listener.ora
>to use static registration.
>
>Am I correct?

No, you are not.
You didn't read that one line, where I said:
>> OEM simply issues a srvctl command on the remote host.

Also, you don't mention a version, so it is very difficult to answer. What OEM does in 9.2.0.8 is, provided the Intelligent Agent is running, submit a job on the database server. That job issues a srvctl command. No static registration required. There may be more at hand in your installation, but as you require the use of a crystal ball or a magic wand, I can't help you.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA