Cannot remote startup database if dynamically registered with the listener?

From: Woody Ling <woodyling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT)

I get error message when I try to use sqlplus to startup my db remotely: sqlplus sys_at_xyzdb as sysdba

ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I found that I cannot use sqlplus to remote startup my database without static entry "(SID_DESC=(GLOBAL_NAME........))" in listener.ora. Since some documents said that we should use dynamically registered with listener for load balance in RAC environment, is there any way to startup db without static db register?

Thanks.
Woody Ling
Hong Kong Received on Fri Apr 18 2008 - 07:59:28 CDT

Original text of this message