Can XA (failover/recovery) work with DataGuard?

From: <joeNOSPAM_at_BEA.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all.

About JDBC+XA transactions and failover with DataGuard vs. RAC:

I understand how XA and recovery works with RAC, and how RAC guarantees that all a global transaction's info is available to all nodes
at the time the tx is prepared. What about DataGuard, with maximum Availability protection mode (synchronous redo transport to standby logfiles) and real time apply of redo on the standby, and Fast-start failover?
  I assume performance would suffer, because the primary DBMS would have to essentially synchronize it's tx prepare calls, so it verifies that
the standby gets and acknowledges the prepare info before returning to the client. But will Oracle guarantee that XA recovery will succeed at the standby node if there's a fail-over to it?   I may be asking what is the finest granularity of synchronous redo transport and application.
Thanks,
Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems Received on Wed Apr 16 2008 - 12:11:11 CDT

Original text of this message