Re: Why does ASMLib support linux platform only?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:04:24 GMT

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:44:48 -0700 (PDT), Woody Ling <woodyling_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I read many articles which said that ASMLib disk can provide better
>performance and easy of management than using RAW devices to form ASM
>disk group. Why does ASMLib support linux platform only if it is
>better? Raw devices are good enough for building ASM disk grouop in
>other platforms such as AIX?

ASMLib is overrated.
I doubt it adds performance.
It makes things somewhat easier, for linux/raw illeterate people. It also adds mgt overhead.. can't update kernel w/o updating the pkg. .......
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups Received on Tue Apr 15 2008 - 12:04:24 CDT

Original text of this message