Re: Are the number of posts to comp.databases.oracle.server dropping off ?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 13, 6:45 am, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 9:30 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > > I spend most of my time doing my job....  ;-)
>
> Ouch!
>

> > LOL!  That is exactly what I was thinking throughout this entire
> > thread.  I have *read* both this group and OTN for years.  I never
> > feel the responsibility (nor have the time) to respond to 50 posts a
> > day (or even a month, for that matter).  It never ceases to amaze me
> > how much time people have to post on either CDOS or OTN, especially on
> > the weekend (yes, I know it's the weekend here in the US, but this is
> > rare for me :)).
>
> There's a lot of posturing and name calling going on in this group no
> doubt about that.  The motivations involved one can only speculate on
> and as both of you guys noted how long it takes to do all of this.

I don't spend that long on it. That's why I've been accused of driveby  posting! I used to be able to burn through a lot more when I used trn rather than google.

My motivation is, I'm spread way too thin, so this is how I keep on top of things that would otherwise fade away from my brain. It also does feel good to help. And see my name in phosphors :-)

It has made a difference in interviews, for good and bad (the latter partly because there have been times it has raised people's expectations of me too high).

> I don't believe much in the rankings and ratings associated with
> people ( top posters ) in cdos since they could be easily
> manipulated.  It is clear though that some of the people ( Jonathan,
> Tom, Joel ) are rated very highly while others are ranked right near
> the bottom.

Wow! I don't think of myself in their league, but that sure makes me feel good. Of course, I have no fear of playing in their league, whether or not I'm qualifed :-) I had noticed the rating, but didn't think much about it until you actually said something about it. I was a bit surprised and gratified to see the cdos readme mentioned in the magazine.

> Why the people at the bottom post so much ... no clue exactly.

Probably some people offend others, and that's why they have low ratings even if they help. For others, well, it's a proper rating.

> > Off to T-Ball practice :)
>
> My days coaching T-Ball have been over for a while.  Two more years of
> coaching my youngest daughters bball team ( and track/cross country )
> before she is off to high school.  Still time on weekends to run with
> both girls.

Older kid never was interested in any sports, though he's doing competitive math now. Younger is big on soccer, his mommy the PsyD really hates being thought of as a soccer mom, so that was the google ID I gave her for that :-)

> Life goes by quickly when you are having so much fun eh?

You'd be amazed of how much I _don't_ complain about!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I used to go to the one in Lake Forest:  http://www.santasvillage.net/santas.village.history.html