Re: Using GHOSt with ASM disks - Cloning

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:57:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 11, 8:47 am, "GPD" <j..._at_thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
> Thanks hpuxrac
>
> May consider 11G.
>
> Very good feedback much appreciated.
> Hint about posting noted.
>
> Other possible solution I have come up with is to remove disks from RAID
> controller 1 by 1 and let RAID array rebuild in bios raid screen. Putting
> removed disks into Dr server assuming both servers identical hardware.

Please don't top-post.

If you do something like this, you will need to put your tablespaces in hot-backup mode. That only really works well if you can make a snap copy and can break off a mirror quickly, to get out of hot-backup mode quickly. YMMV.

I made a ghost copy restore procedure work once as a proof-of-concept, but I really felt it had way too many possiblities for manual screwups to be comfortable with it. Much better to do it the way Oracle has tried and trued. In a DR situation, you don't want a whole lot of thinking going on. Like "duh-oh, did I forget to put the database in hot-backup mode?"

As far as manually pulling out one disk drive at a time: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/msg/1cedb062e0071ac0?dmode=source

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.