Re: Using GHOSt with ASM disks - Cloning

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:03:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 11, 10:34 am, "GPD" <j..._at_thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

Please stop top posting. Most people using cdos won't respond like that ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting ).

> I was asked this question by a customer of our software that uses our data
> warehouse module in Oracle.
>
> Basically they want to create a DR image of a live server. And yes it is a
> generic question, and I have a few other customers about to ask the same.
>
> And they want do so as cheap as possible. Previously they use to use GHOST.
> But in moving from 8i to 10G have implemented ASM, and are making use of
> RMAN.
Probably GHOST will continue to work but you will need to shutdown both the database and the asm instance if you want to avoid all potential problems before making the copy.

> Our databse is not that large in volume.
>
> What is the best solution without getting into replication, synchronization.
> Set up 2 identical servers and use RMAN to create a tape backup that can be
> restored on the DR server?

If you are running 11g you won't need either a tape or disk based rman backup ( rman can clone over network without having an rman backup established ).

> Looking for suggestions / easy solutions.
>
> We are not looking for fallover. A wait of an hour to bring a system up is
> ok.

Oracle's recommended direction is certainly to use rman in general. If you wanted to ( and I don't recommend this at all ) you could use GHOST and then get periodically a set of archive logs until you establish a new GHOST baseline.

Lots of options based on the respective skill sets available. But rman is the strategic and long term direction to look at. Received on Fri Apr 11 2008 - 10:03:14 CDT

Original text of this message