pl/sql: display employees who hired in specific month

From: chris <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I'm trying to write a simple script which displays all employees who are hired in Sept in 1 output & the others are in a different output. So far, when I run my script, all employees (including emp who are hired in the month of Sept) are displayed in 'other employees' section. It looks like the 1st part of the IF condition doesn't work. Any helps/suggestions are appreciated.

  CURSOR emp_cursor IS SELECT employee_id, last_name, TO_CHAR(hire_date, 'month') "hire_date"

        FROM employees;
   hiredate           VARCHAR2(30);
   empno             employees.employee_id%TYPE;
   lname              employees.last_name%TYPE;
   my_month        VARCHAR2(30)  := 'september';

   OPEN emp_cursor;

        FETCH emp_cursor INTO empno, lname, hiredate;
        IF hiredate = UPPER(my_month) THEN
           DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('Sep employees:  ' || empno || lname
|| hiredate);
           DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('other employees:  ' || empno ||
lname || hiredate);
       END IF;
      EXIT WHEN emp_cursor%NOTFOUND;

   CLOSE emp_cursor;

-Chris Received on Wed Apr 09 2008 - 12:42:48 CDT

Original text of this message