Fastest way to drop tablespace

From: suri <suriawan.limantara_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 05:44:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

we have very big tablespace 300GB containing 300000 tables and we want to drop them. We don' t need
the contents, so no need to recover them.

What is the fastest way and less load for the DB to drop it? We have Oracle 9.2.0.8 on HP-UX 11.11

We did 2 small tests on lab. The first one is the usual "drop tablespace including contents" and the 2nd one we put the DB files to offline first and then drop the tablespace. We traced both methods. The 2nd method is
much faster. The different to the first method is that drops the tablespace without take the db files offline has lot of "enqueue" wait events.

We are wondering what is Oracle doing internally in both methods? and is it so that dropping a tablespace by
first taking the DB file offline is always faster.

Thanks,
Suri Received on Fri Apr 04 2008 - 07:44:29 CDT

Original text of this message