Re: Capitalize first letter of FIRST word

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 3, 9:57 am, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 01:19:29 -0700 (PDT), ragnar.hu..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >I have one long textfield that contains productinfo where everything
> >is stored in ALL CAPS. I'd like to convert it to sentence case, that
> >is, the first letter of each sentence capitalized.
> >Initcap doesn't quite do the trick since it converts the first
> >character in each word.
>
> >Does anyone know of a sql-function that will do this? Or, has anyone
> >written a function to do this, and if so, would they mind sharing the
> >code? I'm using Oracle 9.2
>
> >Tanks! Ragnar Husum
>
> Find first space in a sentence, initcap everything to the left, lower
> everything to the right.
>
> How do you know you don't have names and such that need to start with
> a capital? You might need to look into specialized software for this.
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

One time I had an ad in the Auto Trader, and every week I would call them up and ask them to fix the word in the ad that its software was assuming an initialism and changing it to all caps. They never did, or rather, they said they did every time I asked and it didn't make it to publication.

For the product info I work with, it's an impossible task, as there are conflicting assumptions both software and user all over the place. And some of it is controlled by laws and regulations which vary by jurisdiction. And some is just plain silly.

In a number of places, I've seen "absolute" directives change over time.

So to the OP I'd say, be careful with your analysis!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Sounds like they've been reading rec.autos.